Posted to alt.home.repair
RichK

Default dryer repair

Thanks NospamTodd for a very comprehensive write-up specifically on this
design.

I've been using household appliances all my life, without ever "looking
inside". Now some are in need of attention and it's time to learn how they
operate and the various designs.

After you info, I will take another dive inside this thing. looking
specifically at the items you pointed out. The roller rubber felt OK, first
time I looked, but the right roller had a fair amount free play, perhaps in
the hub is the problem.

Thanks again,

RichK

wrote in message

This response is for RichK:

Every dryer manufacturer uses a different system to suspend the drum.
Maytag uses two rollers in the back with two bottom glides in front.
Your Whirlpool dryer has two rollers in back with a plastic ring on the
drum and a felt pad on the front panel, one of the best systems in the
industry if you ask me. Front/back movement can be a little hard to
fix, a more exotic probelm. First, check for rear rollers in good
shape. Tread doesn't really wear on these too much, but the hubs can
wear down and make the roller wobble. The one on the right seems to be
particularly prone to this.