Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Lionel

Default how do I solder a power switch to a mobile board

On 19 Jun 2006 22:35:57 -0700, "interuser"
opined:

Lionel wrote:
*Quickly* (1-2 seconds) tinning the switch legs & the PCB pads will
make the above quicker & easier. Let both parts cool for a short time
(30 seconds) before soldering them to each other.

[...]
I am not expert on using the soldering iron and I am afraid I may
damage the circuit.

That's a legitimate fear - it's very easy to damage a PCB if you're
inexperienced. My advice is to practice. If you can spare the
time/cash, go to a hobby electronics shop (Tandy/Radioshack, etc) &
buy a tiny piece of strip board or other prototyping PCB & practice
soldering small pieces of wire to the strips.

Isn't there another way of doing this?

The only sensible alternative would be to take the device to someone
with lots of soldering experience on small devices. If you take it to
any kind of repair shop, a half-hour of their standard labour charge
would be a fair price for a customer like yourself walking in off the
street. If it's a one man shop & you ask very politely, they may
charge you less. (If it were me, & you were someone I knew socially,
I'd probably charge you $20-30, depending on how messed up the damaged
area is, & turn it down if I didn't think it was fixable.)

How about liquid solder or something else?

Most of those sorts of things don't work make all that good an
electrical connection in the first place, & for a power switch, you'll
probably need a very good mechanical join as well, which you won't get
with any of the no-solder methods.

Sorry to sound like such a wet blanket, but I'd hate to give you
overly optimistic advice that'd most likely ruin your phone. Soldering
small parts safely requires practice, & if you can't find any way of
getting some practice, you should take it to an expert.