Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Canvas waterproofing

"Pete C" wrote in message
On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 16:48:31 +0100, "Mary Fisher"

Neetsfoot oil is great for waterproofing, stick and smelly, but AFAIK
only used for leather.

Neatsfoot oil is used to soften leather, not for waterproofing! We've used
it a lot for that, we don't find it sticky (it's rather thin) and it doesn't
smell bad.

He's prepared to use NikWax but is fondly remembering a water soluble
preparation from a hundred years ago called, he thinks, NevRot - or
something similar.

If it's water soluble it won't be much good for waterproofing, will
it? ))

Yes it is. NikWax, is put on wet and allowed to dry, whether on canvas,
leather, suede or anything else. In fact on footwear the item has to be wet
first.

Sounds odd, I know, but it works.

Others who've used it would say the same.

Go to http://www.nikwax.com/en-gb/index.php and follow any of the many
links.

Mary