Posted to uk.d-i-y
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Default brand new petrol mower rapidly cuts out

Carpii wrote:
Hi., I just bought a brand new petrol mower this weekend. I measured
and filled the oil and petrol correctly. Its a 4 stroke engine

It starts without too much difficulty (though not as easy as Id
expected).
After mowing for maybe 30 seconds, the motor rapidly fades and then
stops.

At this point the starting cord is very tough to pull, and I generally
have to leave it for a while before I can start it as easily as
before.

Thats true as their will be pressure still in the piston chamber and
leaving it a while,the pressure is gradually diminishing.

Im not sure what Im doing wrong or why its cutting out. Someone
suggested Id put in too much oil, but I followed the instructions and
dont see any smoke indicative of oil burning off

Are keeping your fingers on the throttle evenly as your cutting?

Its my first petrol mower so Im a bit unsure what else could be wrong.
Any advice appreciated

Cheers
Carpii

If in doubt take it back.