Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Weitzel

Default High voltage electrolytic capacitor availability for old tubeamp.

wrote:
I have replaced filters in this old Bogen tube amp once and it just
came back after four months with the new ones leaky again. The new ones
were old stock but just to be on the safe side, I did "form" them
before I put them in and they seeemd OK. The B+ off the 5AR4 is 425
volts. I used 30 MFD. 450 volt caps and monitored amplifier warm up and
didn't notice any surge before the rest of the tubes warmed up so I
figured I was all set. Now I'm thinking that I should be using perhaps
475 or even 500WV caps, but can you still even get these that would not
be old stock and possibly worse that the ones in there now? I could
drop the B+ but I would rather not do that unless I really have to.
Thanks, Lenny Stein, Barlen Electronics.

http://www.justradios.com/capacitors.html