Posted to alt.home.repair
PipeDown

Default Electrical

Agreed,

When you went back to the breaker box, did you find an additional breaker in
the tripped position?

A neon light or meter between each combination of 2 wires is a good CYA
test.

GFCI usually trip with much less drama at least hot or neutral WRT ground.
Hot to neutral may could tripped the breaker and left a GFCI still set.

"RBM" rbm2(remove wrote in message
There is no residual electricity, you probably switched off the wrong
breaker or there was a second live circuit in the box

"PVR" wrote in message
Swimbo wanted a new decor light switch. I switched off the circuit at the
breaker board. While changing the switch I touched the live to either the
neutral or ground with a pliers. There was a good flash with sparks. I
did not believe this. I put a meter across the live and ground (and
neutral). All volts were zero. I tested again by connecting the live to
the neutral or earth with the pliers. No effect this time.

So what gives? How can a residual voltage be contained in a circuit
disconnected at the breaker?

I completed replacing the switch, switched on the breaker and everything
works ok.

Peter.