Posted to alt.home.repair
Edwin Pawlowski

Default deck railings

"cj" wrote in message ...
greetings, i would like to know at what height from the ground does one
need to put railings around a deck.

..i really dont want to call my
local building inspector and get them nosing around so i thought i'd ask
the folks in this forum.

It does not matter what any of us think. Last summer we were doing some
work for a tenant to move into one of our buildings. According to the
generally accepted codes, the deck needs no railing and no stair rail. The
building inspector did not care what the code said, he did not care what
anyone on a newsgroup would say, he wanted both. He got both.

Call the inspection office. You don't have to give a name, just ask what
the code is.

Your choice is to ignore the code (won't be a problem unless you sell) and
take your chances. If someone falls and gets hurt what will your excuse be?
"Oh, the guys on the newsgroups aid it would be OK" OTOH, the code also
calls for tight spacing of the balusters. They do block the view. I'd look
at putting a rail, less balusters and then add more if you decide to sell
the house.