Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Michael Ware

Default Can't Stop Humming

"Ron" wrote in message
ups.com...

Michael Ware wrote:
"Ross Herbert" wrote in message
On 16 Jun 2006 05:44:33 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

It is rather difficult for anyone to give a definitive answer to your
problem on this forum, without having heard the symptoms. We can only
go on similar symptoms experienced by some of us and make suggestions
as to possible causes.

Good luck....

Yes, way too many variables. Especially for a guitar/cord/amp combo that
cost a total of $100.

Did you try...

1)same guitar/cable, different amp
2)same cable/amp, different guitar
3)same guitar/amp, different cable

I got the combo from Amazon.com, and now I have only one guitar
(well... except for my old Casio DC-10 digital geetar, but that's a
horse of a different color) and *one* amplifier so I have to rely upon
the evidence at hand which points to a cable problem. I've ordered a
new shielded cable, and in about a week or so, I'll know for a fact
whether it's a cable problem or not. What was it Sherlock Holmes used
to say? Eliminate the impossible and no matter how improbable, what
remains has got to be the answer? Something like that... Anyway, going
to a music store is a last resort for me as I have way too many other
things to worry about these days. But nine will get you ten the problem
is in the current cable. :-)

Ron

Yes, might be the cable.
What sort of pickups does the guitar have? Single coil? Humbuckers? Single
coil pickups can be very, umm, hummy.