Posted to rec.woodworking
Swingman

Default Which is stronger?

"Chris Friesen" wrote in message

"A" has the advantage that the mortices are at right angles to the ends,
making it simpler to mill.

Bingo ... and therein lies the reason for the question.

If you're looking at a "production" run, it really might be worth
testing both designs to failure.

Yep ... a limited production run, in a space limited shop (but with plenty
between the ears, some would say), by a time limited wooddorker, wanting to
test the limits of angled "loose tenon" joinery.

Actually, both are doable, and while I've already cracked the "B"
methodology with a homemade jig, "A" is easier, and much, much more
"precise" (at least without that JDS Multi-router I keep threatening to
buy).

.... and in joinery, precision often trumps even a tiny bit sloppy, with
regard to strength.

Thanks for the input, Chris.

--
www.e-woodshop.net