Posted to uk.d-i-y
Dave Fawthrop

Default Charging leisure battery.

On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 18:01:19 +0100, Steve Firth
wrote:

|On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 13:55:09 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|
| On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 09:26:16 +0100, Steve Firth
| wrote:
|
||On Mon, 19 Jun 2006 06:39:41 +0100, Dave Fawthrop wrote:
|| Leisure batteries (when not maintenance free) require topping up at
|| intervals. Insist that your customer tops up the battery at regular
|| intervals. 2 monthly should be fine, if you install some sort of charge
|| controller.
||Errrm, if he fits a solar panel and a Rutland (or similar) controller the
||idea is that the battery will be topped up continuously in daylight hours.
||The problem is that in winter the days will be short, the sun will be of
||much lesser intensity and snowfall or days of low cloud will leave the
||possibility that the panel fails to charge the battery. This is why a
||second source such as a wind generator is a good idea.
|
| Sorry I meant top up with distilled/deionised water.
| I lost a leisure battery with zig charge controller through not topping it
| up with distilled/deionised water :-(
|
|I'd suspect the charge controller. It sounds like it was boiling the
|battery.

No I checked the zig charger it worked fine, just the occasional bubble,
but over a year the occasional bubble adds up to quite a lot of water. The
battery I replaced it with works fine after several years, topping up with
deionised water every month or two. Also Sulphuric acid does evaporate,
just like water.