Posted to alt.home.repair
Lar

Default How to deal with flea in carpet?

In article , says...
Dear All,

The weather is getting hot. Recently we have noticed there maybe fleas
in our carpet. We don't want to replace the carpet, because that is
several thousand dollars. I am wondering if there are some other ways to
deal with it.

We don't have pets in our home. But the previous owner has one. We
bought the house and moved in two years ago.

Many thanks.

If you have fleas you have to have a host animal. Two years after the
pets are gone is too long for the fleas to continue. If you have fleas
inside there will be no mistake, you will see them on you. If you are
seeing a small hopping insect, it may be springtails, very common this
time of year. They will be greyish rather than jet black and will
easily squash with a finger where fleas are hard to smash.

The easiest carpet treatment is to get an aerosol from a pet store, vet
or dog groomer that you apply directly to the carpet and it should
contain what is called an IGR. The spray directly kills the adult flea
and the IGR keeps the eggs from hatching and the larva from developing
into the biting adult. There will be a little residual that will kill
the new adults that show up from the protected pupa (cocoon) stage.
Vacuum as much as you can until you are sick of your vacuum, the
vibration helps stimulate the adults to emerge from the cocoon stage and
the sooner they emerge the sooner they are gone.

If you are having fleas you need to address the host. It will be a
stray or wild animal living in the attic or under the crawl. In these
situations you can treat the carpet as much as you want and you will be
having fleas for they need to be addressed at the source (attic or
crawl) and you will probably need a pro to properly treat those areas.

--
Lar