Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mark

Default [OT-ish] HDD formatting "good practice"

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 13:14:05 +0100, Mike Barnes
wrote:

In uk.d-i-y, Mark wrote:
On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 11:13:15 +0100, Mike Barnes
wrote:

On this PC, group (a) is subdivided into three partitions: Windows/apps
(C: 17Gb), paging (P: 2Gb), and temp (T: 4Gb). Group (b) is divided into
two partitions: documents and other files that need to be backed up
frequently (D: 5Gb), and files that rarely or never need to be backed up
(copy of the old PC's hard disk, copy of Windows CD, copies of audio
CDs, etc) (N: 230Gb).

Partition Magic is good for settings things up and adjusting afterwards.

An even better solution is to more than one HD.

Are you suggesting five? That's what I'd need in order to avoid
partitioning.

No? I am suggesting using more than one disk and not bother
partitioning them. However, if you really want to, I won't stop you
;-)

Good backup solutions can be quite cheap. I back up C: and D: to a 40Gb
DAT tape. Drives and controllers are plentiful on eBay (I paid about
£25). Software (NTBACKUP) is free with Windows.

I've found a lot of DAT drives to be very unreliable.

I'm on my third DAT drive (no problems, just two voluntary upgrades for
increased capacity) and I've not had any problems. What would you
recommend instead?

Unfortunately I've never found a backup solution I am 100% happy with.
If you have had success with DAT drives then stick with them - maybe
I've just been unlucky.

Mark.