Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Emergency advise - Shellac spilled all over

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 20:07:23 -0400, "miamicuse"
wrote:

"miamicuse" wrote in message
. ..
What a Father's day surprise!

I opened my garage door today to do some yard work, shouldn't be more than
half an hour total, and suddenly I heard a loud "clunk"...I went back to

the
garage and I have a full can of shellac now laying on the floor. It was

on
the top shelf of my rack and I have no idea how it fell, could be a cat or
squirrel when inside the garage while it was opened...don't know. All I
know is when it tumbled down, it splashed on my walls, shelves, tools,

tiled
floor, some older furniture near by and everything on my shelves and made

huge mess and a strong odor.

It dries quick and I was not able to clean things off fast enough before

it.
I have been working at it for the last four hours and it's not getting
anywhere. I tried water, alcohol, mineral spirits and other solvents.

Not
sure if any of it combined with Shellac will be poisonous, but the mess is
not going away. It even stained outside of my garage where the concrete
driveway was about four feet of it have spots all over. Even metal brush
does not get this stuff off. I am giving up and thinking I should just go
to a bar and get a few beers instead of going to Home Depot.

Any advise if there are any solvent I can use?

MC

Where do I buy "denatured alcohol"? Does HD carry them or do I need to go
to a drug store?

See my other post for safety issues. Not a drugstore. You'll want a
bigger container and they say you don't want rubbing alcohol AIUI
there is nothing healthful aboutr rubbing alcohol, except that it
feels good when it evaporates, and I guess it helps lubricate the skin
for rubbing, bfore it evaporates. And it's traditional.

Also can I apply the alcohol with bare hands? No need for
gloves right?

eVEN WATER will make your hands wrinkle after a while. I never used
alcohol for very long, and I know nothing.

Thanks,

MC