Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Emergency advise - Shellac spilled all over

On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 22:53:20 GMT, (Doug Miller)
wrote:

In article , "miamicuse" wrote:

It dries quick and I was not able to clean things off fast enough before it.
I have been working at it for the last four hours and it's not getting
anywhere. I tried water, alcohol, mineral spirits and other solvents.

Alcohol -- but not rubbing alcohol from the drugstore (too much water in
that). You want denatured alcohol (probably a gallon can) from Home Depot,
Lowe's, or some place like that -- it's pure alcohol.

Not
sure if any of it combined with Shellac will be poisonous,

Nope. Shellac is non-toxic. It's the classic kid-safe finish for baby toys,
cribs, etc.

The *alcohol* is another story, though. The alcohol used to dissolve shellac
is the same alcohol that's in adult beverages, and you *can* become

NO IT'S NOT THE SAME, and the ALCOHOL THAT YOU BUY IN GALLONS WILL
KILL YOU, or BLIND YOU FIRST.

AT LEAST ACCORDING TO MY PH.D. IN BIOLOGY ROOMMATE.

HE TOLD ME THAT THE ONLY THING SAFE WAS CHEMICAL GRADE ALCOHOL, WHICH
IS 100% PURE AND VERY EXPENSIVE, AND SOLD MOSTLY TO LABORATORIES, FROM
LABORATORY SUPPLY COMPANIES.

THAT DIDN'T STOP HIM FROM ONCE OR TWICE SWIPING A QUART BOTTLE FROM
THE CHEM LAB to make punch for our parties, but other than smoking pot
a bit that's the only illegal thing I think he ever did, and he
wouldn't have stolen this stuff if he could have bought it at a
reasonable price.

Rubbing alcohol is something like 70% water, and there is another
comon version that has less waterthat that, but the safe stuff has no
water or next to no water.

intoxicated from breathing the fumes. Use plenty of ventilation, and a
chemical filter respirator if you have one -- and don't drive.