Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default Emergency advise - Shellac spilled all over

In article , "miamicuse" wrote:

It dries quick and I was not able to clean things off fast enough before it.
I have been working at it for the last four hours and it's not getting
anywhere. I tried water, alcohol, mineral spirits and other solvents.

Alcohol -- but not rubbing alcohol from the drugstore (too much water in
that). You want denatured alcohol (probably a gallon can) from Home Depot,
Lowe's, or some place like that -- it's pure alcohol.

Not
sure if any of it combined with Shellac will be poisonous,

Nope. Shellac is non-toxic. It's the classic kid-safe finish for baby toys,
cribs, etc.

The *alcohol* is another story, though. The alcohol used to dissolve shellac
is the same alcohol that's in adult beverages, and you *can* become
intoxicated from breathing the fumes. Use plenty of ventilation, and a
chemical filter respirator if you have one -- and don't drive.

--
Regards,