Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

Default Recognizing lead-free solder

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:41:32 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Anyway, just how soluble is lead in water ? I'm not too sure,
but I expect some clever chemistry graduate will tell us. In the past, water
was delivered to all households in the UK via lead pipes. In a lot of older
properties, it still is. Certainly, the house that I grew up in had lead
pipework. I am not aware of people of my generation all dying of lead
poisoning, or having suffered intelligence lowering due to lead-induced
brain damage.

Here's an interesting case of lead poisoning:

http://www.lead.org.au/lanv4n3/lanv4n3-19.html

"According to the Medical Journal of Australia, in 1995 an Australian
man and his wife were lead poisoned by drinking non-alcoholic
carbonated beverages from a pewter mug purchased 10 years previously
in Malaysia. [Ref: Scarlett et al, MJA Vol 163 4/18 December 1995 p
589-590]"

- Franc Zabkar