Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Beginners tips for plastic plumbing

John Anderton wrote:
On Sun, 18 Jun 2006 21:17:29 +0100, "Ron Lowe"
wrote:

For the audience, would you please point out ***exactly*** where I have
"told the likes of you what to do".
( tempting as it may be. )

A quote from any of my posts will be fine.

He probably thinks you're Andy. He seems to have something of a blind
spot there, which is why he keeps calling him Matt.

Don't worry about Dr Drivel, where plastic pipework is concerned the
situation is basically :-

Dr Drivel + his imaginary friends - thinks plastic pipework is no
good, based, it appears, on one incident when he didn't follow the
manufacturers instructions and got a failure (google for drivel and
hacksaw if you're interested)

and

The rest of the world - thinks plastic pipework is pretty much OK

The rest of the world does not think that at all. Look at the Screwfix
plumbers forum. The consensus there by the hard nosed professionals is
that push-fit is big trouble. Many there say only use compression
joints with olives on plastic pipe after bitter experience of leaks.
Most rural based plumbers avoid it because of rodents eating it in
lofts. There are many horror stories on that forum if you do a search.

I used to use push-fit fittings, now I use compression after reading
the stories over there, and some on this group. I have used push-fit
and have had the odd leak which was fixed quickly with no damage.
Initially many years ago when I started up, I used a hacksaw with the
plastic pipe in a mitre block and finished with a file and Stanley
knife, using grease on the pipe before pushing on. I never had a leak,
only when I used a pipe cutter did I have a leak and I think the
problem was the fittings, or O rings, rather than the cut. I noticed
most cutters leave a small nick anyway and I always filed that off.
That doesn't matter now as I use olive compression joints.

I use compression joints on plastic pipe as I don't want ceilings
coming down, or leaks of any sort, as that would set me back big time
after I am finished. I gather plumbers don't want comebacks, so go
for reliable methods, which is the sensible way in business. Apart from
threading pipe in confined spaces getting me out of trouble, generally,
I don't find plastic pipe quicker to install. Plumbers are not anti
plastic pipes as they use them on drains.

Happy plumbing,

John