Posted to uk.d-i-y
Ron Lowe

Default Beginners tips for plastic plumbing

Some of the things they suggest and
people take as correct and go off and do is amazing.

You mean like wrapping olives in ptfe tape?

Well, far be it from me to defend Drivel ( phd ); I must confess to
sometimes loosing my cool with old compression fittings and resorting to a
few wraps of PTFE tape on the olive.

New fittings and olives always seem to work first time, but re-used fittings
and nuts ( cleaned up as much as is possible) can be a pain.

As can be using a new fitting ( like a gate valve ) in between 2 pipe ends
with old olives which you want to re-use, rather than cut back, and have to
extend the pipework to make good the missing length.

You know, you start off with the mantra: " don't over tighten it. Just a wee
nip up is enough."
Then it needs a bit more.
Then a bit more.
And still there's a weep.
And so you end up raxing the thing up with all your might, and still it
weeps.

Then it's time to screw the textbook and use some PTFE tape on the bloody
olive.

Yes, I know it's not strictly best practice, but sometimes needs must...

--
Ron