Gary Coffman

Default harbor freight bead roller

On 6 Dec 2003 05:55:26 -0800, (james) wrote:
I am looking for a bead roller, to roll flanges and beads into sheet
metal for auto restoration and hopefully for some sculpture or
furniture design. I do this strictly as a hobby, but it is one I take
seriously. I am trying to choose between a good quality US made
(Proformer) roller for $330, or a harbor freight bead roller, on sale
for $89. While the US made machine is definately of higher quality, I
am wondering if the HF model would meet my needs and hold up for
awhile. I avoid throw-away tools, but try not to spend more money
than I have to. If the HF model actually works and is of decent
quality, I would be happy to spend less money. Does anyone have
experience with this particular tool? Is it still working away in
your shop, or did it end up at the curb? BTW, the HF model comes with
a full set of dies, while the US made model comes with one. Dies are
$60 each.

I have the HF unit. One note, the fence is not optional if you want to
do sheet stock. It is nearly impossible to roll a straight bead without
it. The machine itself is surprisingly hefty, and works quite well once
you get everything adjusted. You do need a *heavy* bench vise to
hold it. This is a two man machine. It is very difficult to handle the
stock and turn the crank at the same time.

Gary