Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Natural Philosopher

Default Cat 5e telephone cable?

John Carlyle-Clarke wrote:

Am I likely to get in trouble with BT for moving and changing the
master socket? Would I be better to use the correct BT cable instead
of Cat5e to make it look proper, as it were?

No. Not really. The situations is roughly

- BT reserve the right to charge you to do it properly (and for
consequential damage if e.g. you stuff 5KV up their phone wires and
wreck the exchange), if there is a fault and its due to non standard
stuff having been bodged in.

- On the ground, the average BT engineer is a nice bloke, and, if
supplied with coffee tea and biscuits and intelligent discussion of the
World Cup, won't bat an eyelid at any installation that palpably works
and is well put together.

I had an incoming overhead, rewired by ME, to a 4 screw junction box and
some cat 5 going from there to a pair of masters and thence to a PABX
and router.

When a tipper lorry took out the overhead, they replaced it more or less
as was, apart from using a BT proper junction box to connect into my CAT
5..;-)