Posted to alt.home.repair
mm

Default Very scared and frustrated

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 14:52:13 -0400, "J. Clarke"

mm wrote:That blindness guano can occur saw it on tv recently....

The eye doc sad so you have been exposed to bats or whatever.

Lady didnt know of the problem till that....

didnt go blind but it was possible

She must have gotten a lot less bat stuff than the ones who work 40-80
hours a week in guano (bat droppings) caves. So that makes it seem
like my brother was right, so why does google not have anything about
it. Is everything about it too old to be computerized?

Google "histoplasmosis". Blindness isn't the only thing it can do to you.

I'm sure. But I'm still more interested in the relationship between
histo and blindness. Turns out there is ocular histoplasmosis.

Too tired to hunt more, Bill, but it seems there is definitely a
relationship between bats and blindness (LOL). I don't know if it is
in the guano or not, but I only said "guano miners".

I don't know why blindness and histoplasmosis give hits, and
histoplasmosis and bats give hits, but guano and blindness doesn't.
Maybe there are hits but they're too far down the list. Histo and
blindness gave about 49,000 hits, but searching for all 3 gave only
262 hits.

Here are 3:
http://www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00517.html
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:9SeOjXjzGwIJ:www.cnn.com/HEALTH/library/DS/00517.html+histoplasmosis+blindness+guano&hl=en&gl =us&ct=clnk&cd=2&lr=lang_en|lang_iw|lang_es&client =firefox-a
"In another, 14 healthy young college students developed
histoplasmosis when they were exposed to bat guano in a cave in
Nicaragua."

http://www.unitedwildlife.com/AnimalsBats.html
http://72.14.203.104/search?q=cache:iVpSDFlFB9cJ:www.unitedwildlife.com/AnimalsBats.html+histoplasmosis+blindness+guano&hl =en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=1&lr=lang_en|lang_iw|lang_es& client=firefox-a
"Though bat guano has been sold as a fertilizer and can be useful in
some situations, bat droppings are also a major breeding ground for
histoplasmosis. Histoplasmosis is a fungus disease contracted through
airborne spores in bat droppings. Histoplasmosis symptoms may be
anything from a mild influenza to blood abnormalities and fever, or
even death. An eye condition has been linked to the bat disease
histoplasmosis and can lead to blindness in those who contract it. "

and
6. Lenhart S. Recommendations for Protecting Workers from Histoplasma
capsulatum Exposure During Bat Guano Removal from a Church's Attic.
Appl Occup Environ Hyg 1994; 9:230-6.

If they have to protect workers from it, ...