Posted to alt.home.repair
Walter R.

Default water pressure regulator

Your pressure regulator should keep the pressure steady at whatever it was
set at, somewhere between 40 and 60 lbs. You can change the secondary
pressure, usually with a small adjustment screw.

Your street pressure is probably 118 lbs. Because you pressure drops to as
low as 28 lbs, your pressure regulator is defective.

I never had any luck repairing these things. Better to drop in a new one.
They last 10 to 30 years.

--
Walter
www.rationality.net
"Charlie" wrote in message
nk.net...
My house water pressure regulator has started to make a high pitched
'whine'
whenever the water is on somewhere in the house.

I put a pressure gauge on the outside hose bib, without any water running
in
the house, and the pressure gauge showed 118 psi.

I opened a bath tub's hot and cold faucets, and the pressure dropped on
the
gauge to 48 psi;

I then also opened the second tub's hot and cold faucets, and the pressure
gauge dropped to 28 psi.

I'm confused as how the pressure regulator is suppose to work; and isn't
an
initial 118 psi a tad bit high?

Anybody out there know anything about these things and give me a bit of
direction?

Thanks in Advance,
Charlie