Posted to alt.home.repair
Steve Barker LT

Default Matching drywall surfaces.

the old stuff was probably 3/8".

--
Steve Barker

"Jack" n wrote in message
. ..
I rip off portions of drywall in a 30 year old house, big rectangular hole
that is, and replace it with the same type of drywall. Both existing and
new is 1/2" thick. The problem is the new drywall after installation is
about 1/8" thicker. I have four of those 2' x 3' patches and in all cases
the new drywall is always about 1/8" thicker after installation. Is this
normal or am I doing something wrong? I'm pretty sure I've purchased 1/2"
and not 5/8" drywall but I check it tomorrow. Not too much of a problem as
I could make it match. Just more mud and work..