fred

Default Shower cable in a copper pipe ??

In article , NC neil.catley@NOSPAMPLE
ASETHANKYOU.?.com writes
Wanderer wrote:
On Fri, 5 Sep 2003 07:57:50 +0000 (UTC), NC wrote:

All,
I currently have cable running to my shower through sealed conduit
attached to the top of the skirting board in the bathrooom - the
design of the flat precludes passing it through the walls. It is
safe / allowed for me to use chromed copper pipe for this instead as
it will look a lot nicer and fit in better with the other pipes in
the room ?? Safety etc says it may not be....

My immediate thoughts would be that as long as the pipes were properly
bonded there isn't too much of a problem. What always bothers me about
these types of arrangements, however, is that at some time in the dim
and distant future, when you no longer own or rent the flat, someone
will come along and think that it's a water pipe running along the top
of the skirting and merrily cut into a live cable.

Reminds me a bit about a quite elderly edition of GroundFarce, where
Charlie 'Nipples' Dimmock was feeding a section of cable for a water
feature through some scrap gas service pipe under a path. I complained
at the time to the Beeb, but never heard any more about it.

Good point - we have just bought the flat and will be in there for a few
years - I will ensure I label it somehow to ensure that I / next person
knows whats in it !!
Thanks

It's not something I would do myself, an accident waiting to happen, but if
you _must_ then I suggest drilling a small/medium sized hole in the pipe in
an obvious but unobtrusive position to give the next owner a chance to see
that it couldn't possibly be a water pipe.
--
fred