Posted to alt.home.repair
Doug Miller

Default Electrical Question

In article . com, wrote:

And so what? It's very unlikely that any given box that has just a
simple splice will ever develop a problem. And if it does, so what?
Why can't you just deal with it then?

You can't "just deal with it then" because if the junction box is concealed,
you don't even know where it is.

In many cases, you can't just
put an accessible box in because of the location. So, instead, you
wind up rerouting the wiring, all the way back to the accessible end
points, which can be a real headache. Now, I'd rather do that later,
replacing the wire IF the inaccessible junction box did develop a
problem, rather than always ahead of time, on the theory that someday
in MIGHT require access.

Hey, don't argue with me about it -- argue with the NFPA. They're the ones who
wrote the National Electrical Code, not me. I'm guessing they have a little
better handle on electrical safety than either you or I do.

--
Regards,