Posted to alt.home.repair
Jay Stootzmann

Default Few very basic Electrical questions

Elbow -- only if it's outside the conductive suite. Take the goves and hood
off and you'll get em off the finger tips, nose, ears, etc.

As you get closer you'll hear the corona off of the line and hardware.

"Bob" wrote in message
. ..

"Jay Stootzmann" wrote in message
m...
While I see your point -- I would consider it irresponsible to suggest to
a NEWBIE that it would normal for them to replace a bkr in a panel
without throwing the mains off.

I've worked bare-handed on 345kv lines but I sure as h wouldn't recommend
it to the in-experienced.

BTW, I tend to believe in Murphy's law and when I've done work on panels
I shut the main off.

But, at least at transmission voltages, you (usually) have enough advanced
warning that you're getting too close before anything bad happens. Nothing
like a low current streamer off the elbow to remind you.......