Posted to sci.electronics.repair
ian field

Default Can't Stop Humming

"Ron" wrote in message
ups.com...

radio10 wrote:
Ron wrote:

(snip)

I can't help thinking that you may have a fault in the first or second
stages of the amp. What does the guitar actually sound like when
playing through it? Is it extremely distorted? or clean if only the hum
wasn't there? I have one of those little Fender Frontman 15w amps that
was very noisy but was due to one of the input stages shorted inside
the first dual op amp. It's relatively easy to blow the first stage of
preamplification by overdriving it with a guitar effects unit/pedals

Hi, Richard;

I didn't even have time to blow it, rather, the hum was there from the
first moment I plugged the guitar into the amplifier. The sound from
the guitar is clean except for the hum, but as I found out, the hum is
only present when the guitar cable is plugged in suggesting that the
[cheeap] cable is most likely to be at fault.

Ron

Plug the cable into the amp and instead of plugging the other end into the
guitar - short the tip to the body & see if the hum stops.