Posted to uk.d-i-y
John Carlyle-Clarke

Default Cat 5e telephone cable?

"John Carlyle-Clarke" wrote in
:

I need to remake my internal phone wiring - the wiring I have is
old and damaged, and also very byzantine with redundant junction
boxen and sockets (I think there used to be two or more lines
incoming) and extension cables running over almost every
architrave in the house.

Thanks for all the feedback. I wanted to post a diagram of my wiring
for comment, but I can't find a decent free program to draw one, so
I'll describe it briefly if I may.

The drop wire comes down to the house, into an old GPO 4 terminal
junction box. The incoming cable is four core (Black + Brown are the
current A and B, and White and Orange used to be the second line).
From there a 4 core cable goes immediately out of the house, round
through the porch, back in and then over some walls to an 8-terminal
GPO junction. This cable is badly damaged.

From this, standard BT extension wires take the current line to two old
style sockets, one of which is the old style master (Plan 1).

Another standard cable carries the current line plus the now
disconnected second line around the room to another set of wallboxes.
Here there is a double new style socket for the current line, plus a
defunct NTE5 for the second line.

From there, one of those customer fitted plug-in extensions goes round
to the PC. This is the only socket in use.

What I'd like to end up with is just the new NTE5, plus the Solwise
ADSL faceplace I have to go on it, next to the PC. As I say, I know
how to wire this up. All other cables and junctions (apart from the
first GPO one) can come out.

Am I likely to get in trouble with BT for moving and changing the
master socket? Would I be better to use the correct BT cable instead
of Cat5e to make it look proper, as it were?