Posted to alt.home.repair
RBM

Default Electrical Question

The problem is that if it were "legal", it would be done all over as a lazy
man's solution. I agree that a properly made splice isn't likely to cause a
problem, and burying one in the wall is certainly not a fire hazard or every
recessed light fixture would be a fire hazard as well. The real problem as I
see it, is if the splice does go bad, you'd have no way to even guess at
where the buried box is located

wrote in message
ups.com...

Doug Miller wrote:
In article .com,
wrote:

Has anyone ever wondered about the reasons for the boxes required to be
accessible? I certainly agree that it is highly desirable and should
always be done where practical. For example, it makes later trouble
shooting easier.

However, in a case like this, what exactly is the big deal if the box
that contains the splice were not accessible? For example, it doesn;t
suddenly become a fire or safety hazhard, does it? It would seem to me
if you were allowed to use a metal box and cover (to prevent driving a
nail into it) it would still be fine, even if not accessible. And it
would make some jobs a hell of a lot easier.

The "big deal" is that, barring some sort of mechanical damage, faults
almost
occur in the wiring between boxes. Problems develop at junctions. That's
why
junctions need to be accessible.

--

And so what? It's very unlikely that any given box that has just a
simple splice will ever develop a problem. And if it does, so what?

Regards,