Posted to alt.home.repair
Pete C.

Default Few very basic Electrical questions

wrote:

Toller wrote:
wrote in message
ups.com...

Toller wrote:
"SMF" wrote in message
news Hi,

I bought a book plus spent a number of hours on the computer to
research and I hope someone can help me with just a few very basic
questions I still have:

1. I have a 100 amp service. If I turn off the main circuit breaker
can I change for instance a 20 amp breaker without worry of shock if I
don't touch anything else other than the breaker and the wire that
needs to be unscrewed? (I have a few that don't match my GE panel and
I heard that they should)

Most people don't even bother to do that, but yes; the box should be dead
if
the main breaker is open. Never touch a potentially live wire without
testing it first!

You're suggesting that most people replace breakers without turning off
the main breaker? Not only is that irresponsible to suggest to the
OP, who clearly identified himself as a novice, but on what basis do
you even make the claim that most people do it?

English must be a second language for one of us; I don't see where I
recommended that.
I have no hard statistics, but I haven't spoken to anyone who turns off the
main breaker so I expect it is the common practice.

Well, now you have. IMO, anyone who fiddles around with circuit
breakers without turning off the main breaker is an idiot. I always
turn it off. And I seriously doubt that most people don't turn off
the main breaker.

Well, you're seriously wrong. I've done my own electrical work for years
and have worked on electrical projects with numerous other people, both
residential and commercial and I've yet to run into anyone who shuts off
the main when changing branch circuit breakers, including removing /
installing bolt on breakers (Insulated nut driver and gloves of course).
The snap in breakers that are the norm in residential and many
commercial installations are specifically designed to be easy to remove
and install on a live bus.

Pete C.