Posted to alt.home.repair
Tom

Default pump running - no obvious cause

Harry K wrote:
Tom wrote:
My home has a well with a submersible pump. It has been running every
few minutes even though there are no faucets leaking, the toilets don't
run, etc. I just replaced the pressure switch that broke (probably
because it ran so often!). Could it be the tank (it doesn't leak) or
the check valve (the check value is down about 60' near the pump)?

It sounds like you have two problems.

A leak somewhere.

A tank that is almost totally water logged.

You need to replace the gauge first to really tell what is happening.
They are not expensive.

Even with a leak, the pump should run for a significant time before it
shuts off. Rapid on/off cycling is almost always a sign of a tank with
insufficient pre-charge.

Harry K

The pump still runs every 2-3 minutes even with the supply to the house
shut off so the problem is the tank or a leak. The pump runs the same
amount of time as it did when the system had no problem - I would think
it would have to run longer if there was a leak (?). Could I replace
the tank myself - it's too small for our system anyway.

Tom