Posted to misc.consumers.house
ameijers

Default installing curtain rod

"Irrational Number" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Seymour Bigby-Heinz wrote:

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:13:30 GMT, Irrational Number
wrote:

When installing the brackets for the curtain
rod, do I need to mail them into studs? Is
this true in general, that anything I want to
nail into the walls must be nailed onto a
stud?

It is certainly more secure than relying upon the strength of the
wallboard or plaster to hold up your curtains and rods. Remember that
their weight may not be the only thing that is being supported.
Someone tripping and accidentally rubbing against a curtain might pull
the brackets and screws out of the wallboard. They'd be more likely to
just rip the curtains, if the brackets are secured in studs.

I guess it comes down to whether you want to pay to repair the damaged
walboard, or pay to replace the ripped curtains, or both. I personally
prefer to support most things that I hang on walls by using the studs,
unless they are less than a couple of pounds in weight.

Okay, thanks for the information! I will look
for the studs.

In any house built in the last 50 years or so, there is almost always a
header above the window. So, there is usually solid wood above the window
trim, and slightly past the top corners of the casing or interior trim. If
the interior opening isn't trimmed, but has flush drywall, the solid part
usually goes a inch or two past the corner bead. Do not screw the brackets
right onto the trim, or right on the edges of the drywall, as neither will
be very solid. The screws that come with most home center curtain rods are
too short, in my experience. You want screws at least 1-1.5 inches long.
Pilot holes and slightly soaping the screws helps a lot, especially in an
older house. If the wall is already chewed up, a little spackle will cover
the holes, but you want to mount the rod a little higher to use fresh spots.

aem sends....