Posted to alt.home.repair
Sacramento Dave

Default Cutting metal with a compound miter saw

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
I have a project which will require cutting metal bar stock, either steel
or aluminum (haven't decided yet), approximate cross section 4 1/2" x 1/4".
Chop saws are available for this, like this Milwaukee example at Harbor
Freight:

Blade is a 14" abrasive cutoff wheel.

Also available are compound miter saws, generally used for wood, usually
with blades up to 12" in diameter. Since I own neither type of saw at the
moment, and since the compound miter saw would have greater utility for
me, I am wondering if there is any reason I couldn't just use a 12"
abrasive cutoff wheel in a compound miter saw to cut metal. I see the
above cutoff saw has a max rpm of 3900. As an example, this compound miter
saw is rated at 4100 rpm
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91852, so
speed shouldn't be an issue. There are 12" cutoff disks for metal rated
at 6300 RPM max http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6805881. So it seems
like there's no problem with doing this, unless I'm missing something
(wouldn't be the 1st time... ;-)

Dan

They make a carbide blade for metal I have the Makita 12" if you want
neat cuts there great. I use it in my 12" dewalt chop saw. I don't use it
that often but if I did I would get a dedicated saw. If you are cutting
stuff to weld and not looking for a perfectly neat cut the Harbor freight
type saw would be a lot cheaper. The carbide blades come in deferent sizes.
http://www.toolbarn.com/product/makita/A-91039/