Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Arfa Daily

Default Recognizing lead-free solder

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 23:41:32 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
wrote:

Anyway, just how soluble is lead in water ? I'm not too sure,

See:
http://www.floridacenter.org/publica...ility_99-5.pdf
The proceedure is to test for leaching using moderately acidic water
(Ph = 5.0) and to literally pulverize the glass to accellerate the
leaching (See Method Phase I). As expected this yielded the worst
case results at about 3 times the US limits.

# 831-336-2558
#
http://802.11junk.com
#
http://www.LearnByDestroying.com AE6KS

Yes Jeff, I too have seen similar scenarios for producing the public scare
results that the instigators of some of this legislation need in order to
validate it ( and the existence of their jobs and departments, and their own
over-inflated opinions of themselves ). I didn't realise that it had got as
far as trying to ban lead glass over there. At least here in Europe, as I
said, CRT technology has been granted an exemption. Going back to schoolboy
chemistry, I seem to think that normal rain is actually slightly acidic -
picks up carbon dioxide on its way down and becomes carbonic acid or
something like that ?? But very weak anyway, certainly nothing like as low a
ph as 5, I wouldn't have thought. Of course, there is genuine acid rain,
created by pollution in the atmosphere, but I would have thought that if it
was reaching anywhere near 5, every piece of exposed metal would be rotting
away every 2 years, and that there were serious and more pressing problems
with the legislation regarding reducing and removing atmospheric emmissions
from factories.

Don't get me wrong. I'm not against doing away with dangerous manufacturing
processes and materials, which are injurious to both people, and the planet
in general, but there are degrees to which it's practical, and levels of
risk, and I really honestly believe that lead in solder is such a low risk
issue - particularly in view of the fact that additional legislation has
been put in place to deal with that risk - that the problems its removal is
causing to the electronics manufacturing and repair industries, far outweigh
any short or long term advantages.

It seems to me that the words " horse ", " stable door " and " bolted "
should be applied. If there is an issue with lead from solder getting into
the eco system, then it's already happened / happening, and landfills that
are full of junked electronics, need digging back up to remove that problem.
If end of life electronic equipment is now going to be properly recycled
under control of law, then there is no need to replace a valid, mature, and
above all reliable technology, with one that has disastrous potential ...

Arfa