Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ross Herbert

Default Can't Stop Humming

On 16 Jun 2006 05:44:33 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

Ross Herbert wrote:
On 15 Jun 2006 23:56:14 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

Hum induction is highly unlikely provided good techniques are used in the
manufacture of the audio equipment and the house wiring is in good
order. Poor electrical wiring can produce loud buzzing and/or
hum/static noise due to large potential variations where poor
connections occur.

Well, that's the thing: the house wiring is not in good shape. We moved
in here about seven or eight years ago, and did *some* re-wiring, but
the bulk of the wiring is old and leads to a lot of 60 Hz noise in
sensitive equipment. I can't do biofeedback in any room of the house
except for my office, where the wiring is new and the 60 Hz noise is
nominal. Like I said in an earlier post, this is a hundred year-old
house: in 1906 people weren't worrying about audio equipment since
there wasn't any. :-)

Ron

Probably still some of the original black rubber and cotton insulation
wiring there I suppose. The rubber goes hard and brittle and breaks
away from the conductor thus exposing the wiring to possible shorts
and other hazards. Maybe the rats have also had a good feed on the
insulation....

It is rather difficult for anyone to give a definitive answer to your
problem on this forum, without having heard the symptoms. We can only
go on similar symptoms experienced by some of us and make suggestions
as to possible causes.

Good luck....