Posted to alt.home.repair
CraigT

Default Cutting metal with a compound miter saw

When cutting metal there is a great tendency to stall the blade. I wonder if
the hp of a miter box would have the guts to get the job done. Nevertheless
you'd need to disassemble the unit and clean out all the grit when you're
done.

"Dan" wrote in message
. ..
I have a project which will require cutting metal bar stock, either steel
or aluminum (haven't decided yet), approximate cross section 4 1/2" x 1/4".
Chop saws are available for this, like this Milwaukee example at Harbor
Freight:

Blade is a 14" abrasive cutoff wheel.

Also available are compound miter saws, generally used for wood, usually
with blades up to 12" in diameter. Since I own neither type of saw at the
moment, and since the compound miter saw would have greater utility for
me, I am wondering if there is any reason I couldn't just use a 12"
abrasive cutoff wheel in a compound miter saw to cut metal. I see the
above cutoff saw has a max rpm of 3900. As an example, this compound miter
saw is rated at 4100 rpm
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=91852, so
speed shouldn't be an issue. There are 12" cutoff disks for metal rated
at 6300 RPM max http://www.doityourself.com/invt/6805881. So it seems
like there's no problem with doing this, unless I'm missing something
(wouldn't be the 1st time... ;-)

Dan