Posted to rec.woodworking
todd

Default LIght duty busway?

"Paul Franklin" wrote in message
Some time ago I worked for a place that had a light duty type of
busway for electical service to the machine shop area. I was thinking
such a system would be a great way to wire my shop.

It was sort of track lighting track on steroids. IIRC, it was set up
for 230 volts with maybe 60 amps capacity per leg. The track ran down
the center of the shop. Drops to the machines were made with SJO type
rubber insulated cord. The drops connected with a connector that you
slid into the track and then turned to lock in place and make the
connections. You could set each drop up for 230 or 110, and the
connectors accepted cartidge fuses for overcurrent protection sized
for each drop. If the machine wasn't right under the track, the drop
cord was just run along the ceiling through little loop hooks to the
proper location and then dropped down to the machine. It was easy to
move things around, and the cords didn't interfere with cleaning the
floor or cause tripping hazards.

I haven't had much luck finding anything like this. Searching for
busway just finds the heavy duty stuff like Square D's that is very
expensive and way overkill. Anyone familiar with this or know what
it's called or who makes it? Anyone have such a setup?

TIA,

Paul Franklin

I don't know how expensive it is but here is an option.

http://www.uecorp.com/uecorp/Home/ta...4/Default.aspx

If you find out more details, let us know...it looks interesting.

todd