Posted to uk.d-i-y
Pete C

Default under floor heating leak

On Fri, 16 Jun 2006 18:51:57 +0100, ChrisJ
wrote:

Oh dear!
The pipes went down and were tested as not leaking.
The screed went down dry and no leaks showed up.
The floorsheets went down and then the ply and ceramic tiles.
And then the plumber came to connect the manifold to the boiler.

and we discovered we have a leak somewhere under the floor which wasn't
there when the screed went down.

Aaaaaargh!

The conservatory floor is downstairs and is a suspended wooden floor
with kingspan between the joists supported by slats between the joists
with the pipes and screed laid on top of that but between the joists.
The floor sheets rest on the joists and have been screwed in.
The ply has been screwed to the floor sheets. The tiler asked how thick
the floor sheets were to ensure that the screws he used didn't go right
through.
The only access to the under floor void is through the air bricks.

Is there any way we can :
a) plug the hole in the pipe without disturbing the tiles? Radweld
springs to mind but I have a feeling it might break the boiler. I'm
assuming that the
b) if a) is not possible can we find out where the pipe is leaking
without ripping up the whole floor (is there some detector that works
through the tiles (eg by measuring microwave absorbtion or something).
Is it possible to remove just a portion of the tiled floor without
disturbing the surrounding tiles??

Any suggesstions welcome as we really don't want to start all over again!

Despontantly

Chris J

One other idea if a line can't be pulled through, blow a close fitting
steel ball though with water, if it gets stuck use a metal detector to
find where...

cheers,
Pete.