Posted to alt.home.repair
lee_houston

Default Two ceiling fans on a single control?

"HerHusband" wrote in message However, I was really
hoping for a fan AND light control that could control
two ceiling fans and still fit in a single gang switch box. I have seen
plenty of dual controls designed for a single fan, I was just hoping to
find one rated for two fans.

Anthony, I assumed that each ceiling fan had its own
dedicated switch and wall box. Is this true?

or can you turn off both fan/lites from either of the
two boxes? This is common when wanting to control
lights from either of two entrances into a room.

The answers to this will tell us roughly how your
switches are wired and give a better indication of
your 'hardwired' options.

Remove the wall plates and tell us how many wires
(and colors of wires) go to each switch?

Are the switches Single Pole Single Throw or Single
Pole Double Throw? (number of brass screws on
each side of the switches?)

Do you have ready access to the wiring from an attic
space above the switches and fan/lites to allow pulling
of wires if needed?

Depending on answers you may be able to get by with
the two existing switch boxes. i.e. no disturbance to
plaster/lath.

lee h