Posted to alt.home.repair
PRose

Default Neighbors Shed

Over 400 years ago, Nostradamus predicted that on Thu, 15 Jun 2006
20:48:56 -0400, in message ,
mm would say:

Most fence builders put the fence an inch or two inside the property
line. In my case, my fence is probably a half inch inside. I'm going by
the notion that the property line is where the gutters of my townhouse
end and the gutter of my neighbor begins. But because my downspout was
in the way, the fence company put the first post between his downspout
and mine (there was just enough room) and the first section of fence
comes back to just inside my property line. AFAIK the owner of my
neighbor's house at the time didn't object and afaik it's too late for
them to assert dominion over the fence now. At any rate, I'd be very
angry if the current neighbor decided to paint even his side of that
section of my fence. Even if the law were on his side, it's a
declaration of war, when what he shoudl do is discuss it with me. How
much more so when the fence is probably within the neighbor's property.

Where I've lived, structures and fences had different offsets. So, for a
structure to be part of the fence line it would have had to have been old
enough to have been grandfathered in, and that usually means that both are
right on the property line. When I lived in such a situation (one wall of
the detached garage on the property line making up part of the fence), the
neighbors involved had an understanding that each person took care of
their side of the fence. So, for example, when I painted my garage, I
only painted 3 sides of it, and when I painted my fence on the other side,
I painted one side of my neighbor's garage, and one side of his shed.

This is the only way I can see that OP has a right to complain. If the
their codes don't require different offsets and the shed is part of a
fence line that is totally on the neighbor's property, then I suggest that
she learn to live with other people who don't have the same priorities
that she does.

Anyroad, my original point still stands that if she asks the neighbors for
permission to paint the shed wall that she not do it in a manner that
highlights how bad she thinks it looks in comparison to her "immaculate"
backyard. And, if the shed is on the property line, they might already
consider it to be her responsibility -- I never really thought a whole lot
about what was going on with the fourth wall of my garage, as far as I was
concerned, its outside didn't exist to me.

HTH,
PRose