Posted to alt.home.repair
I Love Lucy

Default Got WD40 on Wood I'm going to paint, how will it affect the primer bond?

"I Love Lucy" wrote in message
hlink.net...
I'm trying to convert an old Victorian screen door into a trellis.
The hinge screws are rusted in, got one out and the other one is
totally stuck, three more to go on the other hinge. I sprayed it with
WD40, got some on the wood, and am now worried that the primer coat
won't bond properly.

Is there any way I can treat it without buying another can of
something?

Also, how do carpenters get old rusted screws out? I am using the
right size screwdriver. The hinges are really neat old things, but I
don't want to leave them on. They are decorative and spring loaded on
the inside, but are just some metal, so I'd kind of like to get them
off without ruining them if I can, like if I have to somehow cut them,
I can twist the screw out with a pair of pliers.

Well, it's at the hardware store. They couldn't get them out either, so
I had to leave it. These DIY projects get expensive. Bought hardware
cloth $3 for cutting to size, primer, finish paint, new kind of wood
filler $39.27. It's the paint that killed me, had to buy a quart of
each. Still have to get staples and stakes and can't find my big roll
of heavy duty plastic, plus there will be a charge for their work on the
door.

That is going to be one expensive trellis.