Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar

Default Recognizing lead-free solder

On Thu, 15 Jun 2006 23:48:02 GMT, "Arfa Daily"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

Most shot used in clay shooting is no longer lead, I seem to recall. Anyway,
the point is that if it is, it is not recycled, so remains lying where it
is. Solder accounts for less than 1% of the world's mined lead, over 80%
going to car battery manufacture. The car battery industry have managed to
organise virtually 100% safe recycling, so are allowed to carry on using
lead on this basis, and the contention that there is no suitable
alternative. With the coming of the WEEE directive shortly, end of life
electronic equipment will have to be safely recycled in much the same way,
so where's the difference ? If the car battery people can do it, I'm sure
that the electronic people can also do it with less than 1/80th the volume.

I wonder how much lead is in a typical CRT? BTW, I googled for "lead
free CRT" but got very few hits.

- Franc Zabkar