Posted to sci.electronics.repair
radio10

Default Can't Stop Humming

Ron wrote:
Ross Herbert wrote:
On 15 Jun 2006 23:56:14 -0700, "Ron" wrote:

Hum induction is highly unlikely provided good techniques are used in the
manufacture of the audio equipment and the house wiring is in good
order. Poor electrical wiring can produce loud buzzing and/or
hum/static noise due to large potential variations where poor
connections occur.

Well, that's the thing: the house wiring is not in good shape. We moved
in here about seven or eight years ago, and did *some* re-wiring, but
the bulk of the wiring is old and leads to a lot of 60 Hz noise in
sensitive equipment. I can't do biofeedback in any room of the house
except for my office, where the wiring is new and the 60 Hz noise is
nominal. Like I said in an earlier post, this is a hundred year-old
house: in 1906 people weren't worrying about audio equipment since
there wasn't any. :-)

Ron

Hi,

I can't help thinking that you may have a fault in the first or second
stages of the amp. What does the guitar actually sound like when
playing through it? Is it extremely distorted? or clean if only the hum
wasn't there? I have one of those little Fender Frontman 15w amps that
was very noisy but was due to one of the input stages shorted inside
the first dual op amp. It's relatively easy to blow the first stage of
preamplification by overdriving it with a guitar effects unit/pedals
etc.

Richard