Posted to uk.d-i-y
Mary Fisher

Default Garden watering system

"Mike Barnes" wrote in message

To get round the
problems of freezing in winter, I'd probably blow air through the
system at the end of the season to push most of the water out.

I didn't bother flushing for winter and the system came to no harm. It
was all flexible enough to cope.

Ours has been in for four (I think, could be longer) years and we've never
done anything to prevent freezing - in Yorkshire.

Soaker hoses need good pressure, and with a large area to cover, I found
it necessary to run several systems each with their own timer,
programmed to come on at different times of day.

We;;ve found that our soaker hose works well by being fed only from a water
butt, which is about a foot higher than the lowest point of the soaker hose
(in the greenhouse). It's worked perfectly and has been a boon.

Everything really does depend, I suspect, on the area which will be
demanding watering but a well thought out system will be a godsend.

Mary

--
Mike Barnes