Posted to uk.d-i-y
Andy Hall

Default increasing water pressure blew up water softener

On Wed, 14 Jun 2006 12:45:33 +0100, Doctor Drivel wrote
(in article ews.net):

"Guy King" wrote in message
The message om
from "Aidan" contains these words:

The water company only has to supply 1 bar pressure. It's not their
concern if water doesn't get up to roof tanks in high blocks, so
they've recently been turning the pressures down to reduce the water
lost to leakage.

Recently? They've been pulling that stunt in West London for decades!

The money making *******s want blocks to store water, not at the water
company expense, so they don't have to spend on building reservoirs. In
blocks the pump sets give the pressure on drinking water.

There's nothing wrong with making money, per sec.

I certainly think that the game of turning down water pressures to reduce
leaks is unacceptable, just as I think that the minimum flow rate that they
are required to deliver at a certain height is too low.

However, I don't think it's reasonable to expect a water supplier to deliver
the same for a tower block as for the two storey type of dwelling that most
of us inhabit.

How would one set the figure? Should it be for a 5 storey tenement, a 15
storey council block or a 50 storey office building at Canary Wharf?
If people are living in taller buildings than average then I think that it is
reasonable that the building should play a part in the supply