Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default HDD formatting "good practice"

Christopher Tidy wrote:
Vortex wrote:

The most important decision I have to make in the coming days is whether to
format the 500G as one huge partition or to have multiple partitions eg:
100G for OS and applications and 400G for My Documents/Pictures/Videos etc.

My 2 1/2 year old pc has a 250gb drive and i created 3 partitions.
Personally i still think it makes sense to seperate the os and apps
from data but Windows will fight your attempts to do it.

Having data on a seperate drive makes back ups easier and means it is
possible to create an image of your OS and apps for reinstallation if
necessary. Saying that i've not made a backup image for ages.

The third partition was for video recorded off the DTT card - i wanted
to keep that seperate so that i didn't run out of useful space and get
to the point where the PC wouldnt function.

If you get partition sizes wrong you can always use partition magic to
mess with them later.