Posted to misc.consumers.house
oldal4865

Default Low water pressure on one side of house.

USA1st wrote in message
.com...

wrote:
This morning i turned on the hose and the water came out at its regular
pressure, then suddenly the water came out as a trickle. I checked some
other bibbs on that side and the water barely came out. The rest of the
house is not affected by the low pressure. Any ideas why the pressure
is low on only one side of the house?

Mine does the same thing. The water on the front of the house has much
more pressure than the back of the house. And I have no idea why. I
have not cut anything off with a cut off valve or anything else. It
has been that way since I moved in...years ago.

In my part of the country, we have fairly hard water. The hardness
(calcium carbonate, magnesium carbonate) precipitates on the insides of the
pipes. In one of my houses, the scale clogged many of the pipes so that
the water was flowing in an area about the size of a pencil.

If anything like this is happening in your house, then a small piece of
scale/debris/detritus, etc, etc could easily break lose, plug a pipe and
restrict flow to the faucets which it served.

My third house had noticeably uneven flow in various parts of the house.
The kitchen sink was barely affected but the washing machine seemed to take
forever to fill.

I have been told that horizontal lines are more prone to this type of
plugging. The guy that bought my third house ended up replacing all of
the exposed pipes in the basement (mostly horizontal) though I don't know
how well that worked.

From a more or less random Google hit:

". . . .White or tan particles can be a combination of calcium carbonate and
magnesium carbonate. This material is often referred to as pipe scale.
Calcium and magnesium carbonates are naturally occurring minerals and are
found in varying concentrations in most waters around the world. . . .

The amount of these minerals in the water determines the hardness of the
water; higher mineral concentrations make the water harder. . . . Over
time, these minerals can deposit on the inside of your pipes and then begin
to flake off. . . ."

Regards
Al