Posted to alt.home.repair

Default U staples

Eigenvector wrote:
While I was constructing my compost pile I had to attach the rabbit fencing
to the boards - so I used U staples. Those have got to be the hardest
things to insert into a board. 2 of the worst aspects in a fastener, 1 they
are round and uneven meaning you have to hit them just perfectly in order to
drive them in, 2 they are small so you have to hit them with your fingers
right on the impact surface.

Do the staples with the flat hammer spot at the top of the "U" go in easier,
or are staples like this just a big pain to propery hammer in? If so I
really feel sorry for people who have to string barbed wire fences.

The staples work well for their intended purpose - attaching wire
fencing to rounded fence posts. They were not designed to go into
boards. That said, hold them like roofing nails - between the first &
second finger tips, palm up, with the thumb out of the way. One tap to
set the points into the wood, remove the hand, and one or two solid
hits to drive it all the way in. The more times you hit it, the more
it will go askew.