Posted to alt.home.repair
Chris Lewis

Default Neighbors Shed

According to mm :

He said he saw case(s) where two houses had one driveway, but two
garages, and one owner would put a fence down the middle of the
driveway because he was annoyed at something the other guy did. Of
course he wasn't allowed to do that, but he did it anyhow. (OK I'm
not sure this is relevant, but I like the story.)

Exactly that happened to the parents of an old friend about 25 years
ago. As a result, NEITHER her parents nor their neighbors could
get their cars through to their respective garages.

Fence still there (at the time I don't think there was any legal
recourse).

And do you want to know what the original disagreement was?
When driving into the garage, the corner of the car would
momentarily pass over the property line if the driver wasn't
very careful.

Really, really dumb. Demonstrates how senseless and stupid
neighbor squabbles can be.

In a similar circumstance (over a fence between my dad's house
and his neighbor), I went over and asked if I could do some
minor repairs (some of which would be easier on their side).
For my pains, had a nice visit, drinks and cookies, and they
loaned me a ladder.

Or our neighbor. Comes over and asks us if there's going to be
any trouble with him cutting down some dead trees just on his
side of the property line. He didn't have to, but he did anyway.
Nice. Initiated many friendly contacts ever since.

There's nothing to be gained, and much to be potentially lost by
painting the shed without asking. And what if they say no?
Plant a tree or flowers. Or A fence segment. Get enthusiastic
and add a bit of patio, chairs, sun umbrella... Adds a lot
more value to the house. Or whatever.

There's simply no advantage to ****ing off neighbors for no good
reason.
--