Ed Huntress

Default OT Environmentalists may be in deep Kimchee

"Gunner" wrote in message

It was assumed that the In 25 states comment, that only those not
prohibited from owning (GCA 68 IRRC) were the ones in discussion.

"Assumed"? By whom? Isn't that what Richard and you were getting on my

case
about in the first place?

No, it wasnt.

Yeah, it was. Richard didn't like my evaluation of "permit."

And as I said, want to see the list?

No, its a given, including Vermont law.

What Vermont law? There is no state law in Vermont prohibiting any adult
from buying a handgun. Not even felons. And there is no state law in Vermont
that defaults to, or that even copies, the federal law. The default
restrictions, for anyone wanting to buy a gun in Vermont, are the federal
restrictions. But that isn't state law. That's federal law that *supercedes*
state law.

That's why I excluded it, because I'm sticking to what your quote said, and
it said state, not federal. Are you now arguing this point?

Not me. I simply used the sig, which is true,....

No it's not. There aren't "25 states that allow anyone to buy a gun." There
is one such state. "Andrew Ford's" statement is a crock of crap from the
very first phrase.

with the exception of
criminals or those judged to be a danger to another or society as
stated by various state and Federal rules

In some states it includes people who were in mental institutions three
years ago; in others, people who renounced their US citizenship; in still
others, former pot smokers, and soldiers who were given a dishonorable
discharge. There's more to it than being a "danger." Some of it is flatly
punitive. You really should take the time to look at the list.

The part the argument want off on..was about the 4/5 murders being
done in the other 25 states, or do you not recall that? Recent head
injury?

Yeah, I think there's a head injury here somewhere, but it isn't mine. I
made some judgments about which states "Ford" probably intended, and Richard
produced a list that was somewhat different. His included Virginia, for
example, even though it has grandfathered-in local laws requiring permits or
excluding open carry, or both.

We could have had a reasonable discussion about this but, like many of the
cranks you drag in here with your cross-postings, Richard turned out to be
more interested in personal insults than in discussing a potentially
interesting issue.

So, if you guys want to stick to the letter of "permit," then we'll also
stick to the letter of "anyone." Any chance this discussion could have
illuminated anything interesting or useful evaporated a long time ago.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)